Sunday, January 29, 2012

New Year, New Work



I'm working on a brand new series in preparation for my first solo gallery show, which will take place in March, 2012 at The Gallery at Main Street Landing in Burlington, VT. The new pieces are inspired by the simplicity and complexity of trees.

The Blessing Tree
36x48
Enamel on Canvas

I'm working with oil-based enamel sign painter's paint and canvas.  After doing a brief stint with classic oil paints, I'm enjoying the fluidity of the sign painter's paint.   I'm using my grandfather's beautiful (antique!) brushes for this series, and feel so honored to hold these gorgeous tools in my hand when I work.  

My grandfather's sign kit.

 Safety First!

 I'm doing it all freehand, with no tape, nothing.  
The challenge of freehand is great, and has been doing so much
for my concentration and focus.  It also amazes me that my grandfather did this every day for 40+ years.  The admiration I have for this lost art is so deep.



As I finish more pieces I'll post photos in my portfolio gallery.  In the meantime, please 'like' me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/jodiwhalenart





No comments: